Let's talk about bad language

Last post
5 posts / 0 new
Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team
This use was a member of the Serenity Community

Recently in Discord there has been the tendency to point out when someone swears.

I'm of the opinion that the following uses of swearing is acceptable in our community, even if it was a little excessive:

Quote:

AlmightyWarPig: The fucking video is gone
AlmightyWarPig: Go on then, where's your godamn smart ass replies?!

It's an emotional response to a shitty situation, Pig lost a video of his Canadian Goose and it upset him, similarly if he found the video and it was the best video on the internet, I believe the response "damn that was the best video I've ever seen" would be an acceptable response.

Where I don't believe swearing is acceptable is when someone uses it excessively, no one wants to see messages from someone that contain swear words every other message.  To refer back to the above example, while on it's own it was a little excessive, Pig very rarely swears like that so it's not a big deal, it would be different if he did that all the time.

Similarly I also don't like people complaining every time someone says just one swear word, if you don't like seeing the occassional swear word then that's fine, just ignore it, don't point it out every time and try to force your likes and dislikes on everyone else as if they matter above everyone elses'.  Having said that though, if someone is excessivly swearing, feel free to tell them to stop, and if they don't stop get a staff member involved.

Anyway, this is my opinion so it would be good to hear others', remember we're a community, so try to get along :)

AlmightyWarPig's picture
AlmightyWarPig
Community Team

Man I felt like I was in trouble then..!

I completely agree with you. I have been a pain regarding pointing out when others swear straight away, so for that I apologise.

Oink

iFallinHoles's picture
iFallinHoles

Sounds good. You can't MAKE it stop completely, but I agree w excessiveness. Sorry it got to

issue status. I too, offer my apologies.

Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team
This use was a member of the Serenity Community

AlmightyWarPig wrote:

Man I felt like I was in trouble then..!

I completely agree with you. I have been a pain regarding pointing out when others swear straight away, so for that I apologise.

Lol, you're always in trouble :P

iFallinHoles wrote:

Sounds good. You can't MAKE it stop completely, but I agree w excessiveness. Sorry it got to issue status. 

And you guys don't have to apologise, after all this is our community, we shape it, so that's why I wanted to start an honest discussion about it to find out what peoples' opinions are :)

AlmightyWarPig's picture
AlmightyWarPig
Community Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girnJH7tvpM

It's Zappa time!

May be some swearing in that too... Not looked at lyrics properly...

Just looked at lyrics and cannot see any swearing

Oink