Minecraft 1.12 - Survival, Creative, MMO

User menu

Server crash and restart feature

Last post
3 posts / 0 new
inv41idu53rn4m3's picture
inv41idu53rn4m3

It seems that the server crashed today. I haven't been able to connect all day and the Server user is not present on the IRC channel. Fix that.

Inspired by that, I'm suggesting a new low priority feature just in the case that it's really easy to add. I was thinking of a feature that would allow us normal players to restart the server somehow through IRC if it's crashed or through the game. For this we would obviously require every player ingame to accept the restart, so that people can't just restart the server to bully others.

Hai Piggeh!

Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team
This use was a member of the Serenity Community

This isn't something we will consider, firstly crashes are so infrequent that it wouldn't be worth the development time. There are also a number of issues with this, mainly that it could easily be abused, over used or used for the wrong reason, all could result in other issues. Aside from that any crash needs to be properly investigated and proper diagnostic procedures followed before any actions including restarts are taken.

Additionally because we run a lot of custom developed code and software it's essential that the process described above is followed, if any crashes or similar issues occur in the future contact any member of staff who will very quickly be able to reach a Systems Operator or Admin.  And if you can't get anyone just send me a PM on here, since I get emails when PMs come in.

We do however have plans to have some kind of monitoring system in place that can monitor our services for any issues and alert the appropriate people, although this is more of a long term goal.

inv41idu53rn4m3's picture
inv41idu53rn4m3

Kk. :) I was thinking that most probably nothing like this would happen because it's kinda stupid.

Hai Piggeh!