Minecraft 1.12 - Survival, Creative, MMO

User menu

Will there ever be a Tekkit and/or FTB server?

Last post
8 posts / 0 new
LayAnotherBlock's picture
LayAnotherBlock
This use was a member of the Serenity Community

Alright, I do believe that the first reason I came to Serenity more than a year ago was because of Tekkit. It was awesome, the best Tekkit server ever. I tried finding new ones after I got banned, and, well, While I did find one with a nice community, my terrible luck caused the server to shut down, and I forget the IP.

I'm just wondering if the Tekkit and/or FTB servers will ever make an appearance again... I really missed all the memories from there... I don't need FTB but I'm sure there are some out there who do miss it, which is also true with Tekkit :P

Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team

I also miss those days, we don't have any plans to expand into Modded Minecraft Servers again, and we won't be doing it any time soon, however I won't rule it out.

LayAnotherBlock

...I know this was kind of a long time ago that I posted this, but I COMPLETELY forgot about this place because of school. But, I figured, since my new PC is fairing out well, what if I hosted a Tekkit server for us? I mean, it probably wouldn't happen due to me sharing internet with a family, but I'm sure I'd find a way if I was allowed by staff.

Note, that I am on Arch Linux, and I leave my PC on all day (even through night) if there is a process running that I find important, like a web server or an application doing a big download (>= 1GB).

My specs are:
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
AMD A10 @ 3.4GHz, 4 CPU cores, 6 GPU cores
Onboard AMD Radeon R7 GPU
Arch Linux (main OS), Windows 10 (backup OS).

I guess only the CPU and RAM matter, but if I can run Saints Row 3 on Ultra with integrated graphics, I'm sure I could run a modded Minecraft server with minimal lag on my end.

Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team

Personally I don't have a problem with you hosting a modded server for the community to use, it's not something that we can officially support you with though, so it wouldn't be an official servers of New Eden (if you know what I mean).

LayAnotherBlock

Yeah, I know what you mean. You mean that it wouldn't be labelled as New Eden, which is understandable. I'm not a staff member, therefore I shouldn't REALLY name a server after something I don't own.

But, yeah, I'd gladly host a server for us IF I wasn't sharing my internet with my parents. I could probably figure something out, there is the free trial of DigitalOcean that gives me $10 which is enough to get a decent server for a month, and with donations I could keep the server going.

Ohhhh, finance, why must you be so complicated?

LayAnotherBlock

Well, sorry for double-posting, but I just wanted to say that I've pretty much got hosting covered. Well, for the next month at least. A friend of mine's setting up a Debian box, who's specs are currently unknown, that I'll use for the Tekkit server. We'll see how it works out, and if it works good, well, yeah. If not, fear not, because I'll be setting up a donation page (probably through PayPal) and all donations will go towards the Tekkit server and making it as lag-free as possible.

Now, I need some input from the community, as to what version of Tekkit they want. Either the latest release, with all the space stuff, or the Tekkit Lite release, which uses MC 1.4.7, and was used on the old SerenityTekkit server.

Also, since I'm kinda doing this because I miss SerenityTekkit and I'm sure others do too, with the time capsule thing I may be able to let users pick up where they left off with Tekkit, by adding the last Survival world from SerenityTekkit as like a temporary frontier or something so users can grab their resources, and build their new bases and whatever in the new world. Just a thought, and if it's OK with staff, I'll do it.

Don't expect the server to be ready tomorrow - give it some time. My friend has to put an ICANN request in to get a new IPv4 address for the server. And you can thank the IPv4 shortage for that, that's not in our control.

Aaron's picture
Aaron
Administrator
Management Team

Good luck getting an IPv4 Address from ICANN, interesting fact it is expected that by 2019 there will be no more IPv4 addresses left to allocate. Given that IPv6 has been in development since the 90s it's almost unbelievable that we still don't have wide spread adoption of IPv6.

Regarding Time Capsule I can't guarantee when that will be available, and the Tekkit Lite map was so long ago I doubt anyone would be interested in grabbing their old stuff, plus I'd advise going with the recent release of Tekkit, Tekkit Legends.

LayAnotherBlock

Is Tekkit Legends the one with Galacticraft and everything? If it is, personally I don't really like it, there's a lot of updated mods that add things that kinda put me off, and that remove things that got me into Tekkit... but I guess we had a fair share of that with Lite when it was released, since Energy Condensors were removed from EE3...

I know most of the things I don't like from the newer Tekkit can be turned off, specifically the sewage puddle generation... but it takes a while to find the entries in the configs. Meh, that's just me...

EDIT: I really should look at links before I start asking what they are. Still, I'd have to play with this new Tekkit release and get familiar with it before I try anything. Just hope the energy condensors are back. It'll be a good way to not use creative to build OreCorp, as even IF I'm an admin on the server because I made it, I still feel it's unfair to play in creative in the survival world when everyone else doesn't get to.

Also, about OreCorp: That was my "business" that was on SerenityTekkit. Me and Parker237 and a few others built it. It basically took a BUNCH of ores and resources from the frontier, brought them into the main world, processed them (Iron and other ores would get macerated, smelted and such, Dirt, stone and gravel would be turned into UU matter, etc) and I would sell any processed items to those who needed it. I would've expanded OreCorp's resource-gathering region out, but the Tekkit server closed... But yeah, OreCorp's making a return, and I'm going to make it part of the spawn.

Edit 2: It's final. I'm using Tekkit Legends. It has energy condensors.